We all get a little sad when we get disappointed, when we lose someone or when we lose something or when we feel lost.
We start to lose hope.
We begin to feel unfulfilled.
We can’t find motivation.
It is very hard to do anything when you feel lonely. Getting out of bed is a task. Facing the day is dreadful. You can’t love your loved ones.
You start to feel like you are in a downward spiral never ending tunnel and you don’t mind it at all, because trying to get out of this tunnel is much more work than to stay there and keep going deeper and deeper. You don’t really want to be there but you can’t get out, even if you try to climb out of the tunnel, you are stuck in a rut.
What can you do?
How can you get out?
Who can help you?
When will it stop?
Where do you go?
Why do you feel this way?
Depression can be cause by many different things:
- chemical imbalance
- past traumas
- stressful life situations – work, relationships, family, money, etc.
- seasonal affective disorder
But what we need to remember is to be AWARE.
Being aware of the who, what, when, where and why are we feeling depressed. Being aware of the triggers will allow you to cope with depression.
When you start to feel sadness creeping up on you, ask yourself about the triggers:
- Who is causing my stress, anxiety, anger, disappointments, etc?
- What happened or what is going on in my life right now? What changes are happening?
- When did this start?
- Where is my support system?
We need to allow ourselves to feel the loneliness. Being okay with our feelings will help us pause to reevaluate our lives.
10 Action steps that we can do when depression starts to creep in:
- Pause. Breathe. Accept the feeling.
- Rest – Sometimes we just need to rest our minds, bodies and spirits.
- Reflect on the cause (work, significant other, family, money, health, etc)
- Reach out to someone (therapist, trusted friend)
- Read or listen to something motivational
- Go for a walk, run, clean or move to get your endorphins flowing
- Avoid drugs or alcohol – it will only worsen the depression
- Surround yourself with authentic and positive people (misery loves company so avoid those people, they will drag you down)
- Do something that brings you joy
- Connect and ask for help (people love to help)